National Physical Fitness and Sports Month are celebrated in May. It is an initiative by the President's Council on Fitness, Sports, and Nutrition. Since 1983, each President has proclaimed May as National Physical Fitness and Sports Month to promote the importance of physical activity, physical fitness and sports participation.
There are many ways to be physically active. All kinds of active pastimes can help improve our physical and mental well-being, making physical activity one of the best ways to stay or get healthy.
Some benefits can be achieved immediately – like improved blood pressure and reduced anxiety – while other benefits are the result of making physical activity a regular part of your routine. The key to a successful fitness program is consistency and making exercise fun!
The Physical Activity Guidelines:
- Adults should move more and sit less throughout the day. Some physical activity is better than none. Adults who sit less and do any amount of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity gain some health benefits.
- For substantial health benefits, adults should do at least 150 minutes a week of moderate-intensity and 75 minutes a week of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity
- Adults should also do muscle-strengthening activities of moderate or greater intensity and involve all major muscle groups on 2 or more days a week
Everyday Physical Activity Tips:
Walk Whenever Possible
- Take the stairs instead of the escalator or elevator
- Take a family walk after dinner
- Park farther from the store and walk
- Go for a half-hour walk instead of watching TV
Move More in Your Home
- Garden, or make home repairs
- Do yard work. Get your children to help rake, weed or plant
- Work around the house. Ask your children to help with active chores
- Wash the car by hand
- Join an exercise group, and enroll your children in community sports teams or lessons
- Choose an activity that fits into your daily life/lives
- Dance to music with your family
- Choose activities you enjoy. Ask children what activities they want to do
For additional information visit https://bit.ly/3HfDPBu.